Problems Paying Rent 

If you are having problems paying your rent, please read below.

Do you need help with your rent account?

Gardeen Housing Association knows that some tenants may face money problems, which may affect their ability to pay rent regularly.

Our staff will do all that they can to assist any tenant who finds themselves in this situation. We will talk to you and discuss matters in confidence and help set up a payment plan in order to help you pay your rent. It is important to ask for help early in order not to let the arrears get out of hand. Our staff can give you information and advice on Housing Benefit/Universal Credit. We can also put you in touch with other organisations who can give you advice about any debt that is worrying you, not just your rent.  

Please remember it is your responsibility to keep your rent account up to date. Although we take a sympathetic view if people are experiencing difficulty in paying rent, we must still maximise the income we receive and as such we will take action against any tenant who does not pay their rent or maintain arrangements to repay rent arrears. Rent arrears may prevent a transfer or mutual exchange.

Independent Money Advice

We have recruited a new welfare rights adviser, Elaine, in partnership with Connect Community Trust. If you are worried about your money then you can speak in confidence to a member of staff who will arrange an appointment for you to speak to Elaine.    

Legal action
If tenants fail to pay their rent or make, and stick to, acceptable repayment arrangements, the Association will have to start Court proceedings which could result in arrestment of earnings and eviction.
Such action is always a last resort but it may be required if matters are not resolved early.